Monday, April 10, 2006

What counts

I haven't done very many spectacular things in my life, but giving birth to my children was incredible. I will never forget the feeling I had just after our first son was born - I thought to myself, "This is the most incredible thing I've ever done! This is something truly worthwhile." I felt so priviledged. It is a miracle that you will only know when you are part of it. I cried, I laughed, I stared at my newborn son in wonder, I thanked God, I thanked my husband, etc, etc.
There is not much in this life that could match that experience.

But when God births a child, that is incredible as well. It is no small thing - it is a miracle. It is a total transformation, mainly of attitude and direction. A 380 that only God can achieve. When I see it, I don't care how many times it happens, I cry, I laugh, I stare in wonder. To be part of that, part of the body of Christ that is there in the delivery room, is a priviledge.

Of course after the "baby" is delivered to us, we have to take care of it, nurse it, coddle it, check on it often. Make sure no harm comes to it. Teach it the right way and train it to go in that way. This is the church, of course, doing this work. Very important work, unless you want sickly babes, or undernourished ones. It is in a great part up to us, as Christian brethren, to take up that work, instead of just hoping they'll make it on their own.

The older I get the more I realize just how few Christians there are and it is no small thing when someone makes that decision.

It is a priviledge to work in any part of that process. And way more exciting even than giving biological birth.

The first birth may not go so well, but the second birth is the one that counts.

May the Lord bless you all tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roberto said...

I'll probably never experience giving birth, but you're definitely right about the second birth. God does wonderful things.

Wed Apr 12, 02:47:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie Alexander said...

Great post, Brenda. I wish I had second births to report after our trip, but it wasn't to be...but some seeds are planted. Looking forward to seeing you.

Wed Apr 12, 04:32:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home