Monday, April 24, 2006

Metamorphosis


I've been thinking a lot about a Christian's identity in the world, you might say.
Tonight we read from 1st Peter for family devotions and MacArthur had some good commentary on what it was like to be a Christian at the time of the writing of this epistle, right after the burning of Rome. The emphasis is that a Christian can not only not become bitter when falsely accused, but even evangelize his hostile world for the Lord.

This really got me: "Believers are constantly exposed to a world system energized by Satan and his demons. Their effort is to discredit the church and its credulity and integrity. One way these spirits work is by finding Christians whose lives are not consistent with the Word of God, and then parading them before the unbelievers to show what a sham the church is. Christians, however, must stand against the enemy and silence the critics by the power of holy lives."

What does a holy life look like?

In Romans 12 we are beseeched to present our bodys as living sacrifices, holy, acceptable unto God . . . . and be not conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewing of our mind . . .

world= the spirit of the age in which we live; the sum of comtemporary thinking and values that forms the moral atmosphere of our world and is always dominated by Satan.

To be transformed comes form the word metamorphosis, and implies a change in outward appearance.

So a Christian should outwardly evidence their inner redeemed nature.

Some people say this is just a matter of the way you treat people, control your temper, etc. And I agree.

But a transformed mind is going to be 180degrees different in thought from our world.
Because there is no way that Satan is thinking the same thing that God is thinking.

Why do we give in to what the world thinks, does, so often? Lack of holiness. Lack of time in the Word, led by His Spirit. There is where we'll be coming up with those different thoughts, actions, manners, outward appearance.

It's not just an inside thing - it will manifest itself on the outside. Friendship with the world (it's way of thinking) equals enmity with God.

Specifically? I think the music that has the philosophy of this present age. Many agree the philosophy is wrong, but listen to the music. This controls thinking and inhibits the work of the Spirit to transform.

Speech - why talk like them? To identify with them. Lack of wanting to be separated out as God's people.

Dress - everything sexy - it is affecting the church.

Problem solving - the self- image inflating gurus of this age. it's not your fault.

What male/female relationships should look like - is it Biblical or out of the movies?

Just a few areas that readily show up.

What are we embracing? Thanks for listening. This has been on my mind for quite awhile.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Alexander said...

Nice blogs...and thought provoking (and a rebuke...I can't remember the last time we had time to have a family devotion). Being saved later in life has some advantages. There were many worldly things that I got a taste of and I know the emptiness and despair that go along with all of it. Not that I am perfect...and there are some things that I still succumb to...but this get back to one of my previous blogs...and my frustration over my children (especially Kyle) wanting to toy with these empty things. I wish I could convince our young people they are not missin' nuttin'. The vain and empty pleasures of the world are nothing to the peace of a Christ-centered life!

Mon Apr 24, 09:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie Alexander said...

By the way...beautiful pictures. Did you take them?

Mon Apr 24, 09:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger Patrick said...

HOLY SPIRIT

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Patrick

Sat Mar 24, 11:21:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home