Saturday, June 10, 2006

911

I have found that I am not the best at handling medical emergencies. We recently had a refresher at work on CPR, etc. and it all seems easy when you are practicing on a dummy. But the next day my niece collapsed on me in church and i felt panicked. She had had too much heat and sun and not anything to eat that morning, so was basically exhausted. But as she lay on me her body was jerking and that scared me.
Same thing the following week - a kid at daycare got elbowed while playing ball and fell down in terrible pain - his eye was hurt, and he was also jerking on the ground.
Usually in discipline situations at school or other seeming "emergencies" with an upset parent, etc, i calm myself quickly and handle the situation. I see that as a very doable challenge.
But medical emergencies, I have found, I don't like! :) My mind goes in a hundred directions and i tend to think it is worse than it is, or at least i did in these situations. I haven't enjoyed discovering this about myself, but it is something i need to work on.
I knew there was a reason i didn't become a nurse . . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Sage said...

yay

Sat Jun 10, 07:37:00 AM EST  
Blogger Julie Alexander said...

YIKES! I am pretty pathetic in medical emergencies myself! Once Danielle really messed her hand up bad (Kyle ran over it with his bike). I had to take her to a neighbor's house that was a nurse. Thankful it wasn't as bad as it first appeared!

Sat Jun 10, 09:43:00 AM EST  
Blogger La Profesora said...

when are you gonna start your blog back up? bet you have some good stories from "p.e.", or "fun club" or anything!
you never forget anythihng, do you?!

Wed Jun 14, 06:54:00 AM EST  
Blogger Butterfly said...

my mom was freaked out and had to sit down because she felt like she was gonna faint...lol i've never had to handle situations like that, so i wouldn't know...

Wed Jun 14, 09:16:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home